5 Tips on Stewarding your Money

‘Honor the LORD with your wealth and with the best part of everything you produce. Then he will fill your barns with grain, and your vats will overflow with good wine.’ Proverbs 3:9-10

It’s tax return season and I along with many others plan to buy something new with my refund. But before we set our hearts on the newest, latest and greatest, let’s think about something. The question today is “Am I a Good Steward?” For many of us the answer is no. But can you be? YES! Here are five tips on how to be a good steward! 

 1. Tithe. Giving away 10% of your money before you pay the first bill causes you to pay more attention to what you do with the other 90%.

‘Give generously to him and do so without a grudging heart; then because of this the Lord your God will bless you in all your work and in everything you put your hand to.’ Deuteronomy 15:10

2. Pray over your income. We already know God wants us to tithe and pay bills but what about the rest? For every monthly bill we have I have a scripture written out beside it.  One because I speak LIFE over our income and two, we have no idea how paying our bills effects others.

(Living by example, helping others keep their jobs, keeping a company in business etc)

3. Budget. Set categories for how to spend your money and decide where it should go (bills, college fund, savings, emergency fund, gifts to bless others, entertainment etc.). They key is to stick to it!

‘For which of you, intending to build a tower, does not sit down first and count the cost, whether he may have enough to finish it; lest perhaps, after he has laid the foundation and is not able to finish, all those seeing begin to mock him, saying, This man began to build and was not able to finish.’ Luke 14:28-30

4. Pay your debts. Debts are chains on our lives. They inhibit our blessings from God. Don’t borrow unless it is absolutely necessary and then pay off your debts before you do anything else. (Great way to use a tax return!) 

‘Just as the rich rule the poor, so the borrower is servant to the lender.’ Proverbs 22:7

5. Live on less. Clipping coupons, shopping sales and waiting for the price to drop does not mean you have a poverty mindset! Tips: Walmart will price match ANY ad including Publix / Winn Dixie buy 1 get 1 free and two for such and such. Check for the lowest price on meat and produce!

‘The wife of noble character: She gets up while it is still night; she provides food for her family and portions for her female servants.’ (Proverbs 31:15 NIV) [hr]

Saving, budgeting, giving, and spending money takes time. And the first month will be the hardest but just like any new discipline you reap what you sow! Sow the seed of diligence, wisdom and knowledge and reap favor, blessing and peace!

Andrew and I have been walking in faith over our income for sometime now and I have finally gotten to a place where I am not shaken or upset about an unexpected bill/expense. Instead I walk in peace over the situation and I know it will be resolved. Not by my might (or knowledge or power or skill) but by the power of the spirit!

Topics: and tagged: , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.